Coppell, TX enjoys a convenient central location in the Metroplex, close to DFW International Airport and easily accessed by major roadways. The opening of the airport in 1974 transformed the little village into a large, upper-middle class suburban community. By 2000, the town’s population had grown to 35,958.
Coppell was originally settled by German and French immigrants and members of the Peters Colony. It has its roots in the small farming community known as Grapevine Springs, where Sam Houston is believed to have signed a treaty with the local Indians. Later called Gibbs Station for its namesake stop on the Cotton Belt Railroad, the town was renamed in 1890 for George Coppell, who put Coppell on the map by bringing in the railroad to serve the surrounding farms.
The community has developed a 116-acre park system that included two lakes, hike and bike trails, paddle boats, playgrounds, picnic areas, a Frisbee golf course, a community pool, and baseball, soccer, and football fields.
All of the elementary schools in the Coppell Independent School District are rated “Exemplary” by the Texas Education Agency (in 2008), as are Coppell Middle School North and Coppell Middle School East. Coppell Middle School West, Coppell High School and the district as a whole are rated “Recognized”. New residents often cite the high quality of the area’s schools as their primary reason for choosing Coppell.